Monday, September 15, 2008

Gilgamesh

I have spent the last sixteen hours putting together an outline for the project I'm about to do on the Avid machines at school tomorrow.

I pulled my resources from Archive.org, did a basic search for science fiction and grabbed a bunch of images of atomic bombs, cars, industry and some religious images, put it all to a man reading a piece of Gilgamesh and viola, poetic beauty. I can't wait to see it when it's fully realized.

I've never written down all my edits before I made them and it's an interesting process. I like it a lot and can definitely see me using it on my own personal projects, a designio of sorts.

I really do love editing, and I don't do nearly as many projects for my own enjoyment as I would like to. There's something pure and lusty about editing. The way that you get to put things that don't go together right up next to each other and have people attempt to decipher meaning. And trying to piece through hours and hours of footage for that image that comes to mind that will complete the story you want to tell, only to realize that the images have other ideas in mind.

It's really weird when you get that pull. That slight tug from something beyond you. All those lives and experiences calling out to you from so long ago. They ask to be placed within the sculpture you are trying to create; to be re-embedded in peoples minds; make them remember those images all over again. It's hard at archive.org because there are so many bizarre clips it's hard not to keep going back to 50s Americana and footage of atomic bombs. The Hydrogen bomb clip is horrific and yet truly beautiful. There's something about all that death and fear that's really hard to break yourself from.

Well, I'm heading to bed before I have to go to school tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin