Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Duchess

It's been a while since I've written a review of a movie. Been a while since I've seen a movie in theaters too.


I am a sucker for films like these. Any time that a filmmaker can transport me to a time before Cell-Phones and the Internet and even film itself, I'm there. I can't help but be immersed in them and search for every bit of socio-political information that they have to offer. Though it is sadly light on politics, and its run-time is shorter than I hoped considering how much could have been covered, this films study of gender politics and freedom is quite engaging.

This film also genuinely surprised me story wise. I thought I knew where it was going to go, but Keira Nightly and Ralph Fiennes honestly kept pulling the rug out from under me. She was successful at making me forget Pirates of the Caribbean, Ralph put in one of his best performances to date. I really recommend people who would not normally see a period film go and see this because it just might surprise you too.

I give it four feathers in a hat out of five.

P.S. I am pro-digital now. I can't wait for The Red One to be a household item. I am done with film as of my discovery that this camera has better resolution than film itself. Film=2K, Red One=4K

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit March 20, 2009:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pro-Digital phase did not last long. Buying full Super8 setup with projector, and splicer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit May 19, 2010:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Film is cumbersome and wasteful. Back to digital.

1 comment:

Kifoto said...

Well you GO, 21st century digital boy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin